GROW IN FAITH
Click on the tabs below to see how we grow our faith in the RELC community.
Our theology of faith formation for all ages:
- affirms promises made in baptism
- sparks a desire to learn about God’s Word
- energizes us to serve
- develops positive, trusting relationships with God and each other
- encourages questions
There are groups for all ages. ALL are welcome!
Sundays at 9:00 am during the school year.
- Godly Play for age 3 through 2nd grade
- J.A.M. (Jesus and Me) 3 – 6 grade
- Rise & Shine for 7th – 8th grade
- High School
- Adult Forum – drop in discussion and study
[We are currently using Sparkhouse curriculum for the school age youth.]
4th For All – Cross Generational Bible Study each month on the 4th Sunday, with fun activities such as puzzles, skits, crafts, readings, and much more!
Kathy Nelsen, GIFT Coordinator
Tuesdays at 11 AM; Thursdays at 7 PM
Adult Bible study with Pastor Dave via Zoom. CONTACT: Pastor Dave Kamphuis
Links for at home faith formation and fun:
Books from Augsburg Fortress:
- For kids
- Lutheran Study Bible for adults
Indiana-Kentucky Synod “Sunday School at Home”
Weekly online at home Sunday School
- Wide -ranging list of resources including an excellent reminder excerpt from There’s No Wrong Way to Pray, links to Godly Play videos, topped with an illustration of Jesus and the little children that is more humorous and accurate than most
Seasonal Mailing from Augsburg Fortress
For $9.49, you can have a yearly subscription to the quarterly seasonal mailing ‘designed to help families fit faith into everyday life!’ from the publisher of our Faith to Faith materials
Free for Apple, Android, or Kindle with 41 stories, games and activities from Youversion, an app used this past Spring for RELC adult online Bible study
- Available for Apple, Android, laptop, or voice devices that features Bible studies on many topics for all ages, including kids
Parents and Family
- Articles for parents with a Lutheran perspective
- Sells Advent and Lenten devotionals, coloring pages, children’s bulletins
- This publishing site for GIFT’s curriculum offers supplemental materials for sale such as faith based storybooks and a variety of Bibles
- Topical (current theme is Back 2 School), scripture based, and mindful for youth and young adults although several young –at- heart adults of our congregation use this too, also available for Apple devices
GRADE SCHOOL MATERIALS
- Learn about Sparkhouse
ADULT FORUM MATERIALS
- Variety of resources, such as books Loving Jesus (by Dr. Mark Alan Powell) and Lutheran Trump Cards (by Pastor Dave Daubert)
- Parents, while your children learn, please join the adult forum for faith discussions and growth of your own understanding of God’s Word and teachings.
SHARING THE WORD WITH OUR KIDS.
Leaders are needed each Sunday during the school year for the school age groups (see GIFT tab). This ministry helps our youth learn about God’s teachings…and leaders tend to grow in faith as well.
All materials are provided.
If you are interested in learning more about this ministry, contact Kathy to see about sitting in on a class and find out more of how it works.
RELC members: it is easy to sign up for week(s) you are available at the link below:
Kathy Nelsen, GIFT Coordinator
Our church nursery includes an intentional ministry for faith formation and development.
We have take home resources for parents and grandparents.
FIRST COMMUNION AT RELC
We do not have a designated age that it must and should occur. All it takes is understanding the elements involved.
Parents and youth meet with Pastor Dave for a few lessons (A Place for You) and have a hands on experience of making bread.
Using the Bible and Luther’s Small Catechism as its foundation, the Catechism program at RELC will guide students actively exploring their faith. A combined class of middle schoolers meets twice a month throughout the school year. Confirmation (for 9th graders) takes place on Reformation Sunday in October.
Youth are encouraged (and required) to take notes on sermons – here is a guide to assist worshipnotesplain
Dave and Kathy Nelsen
Email Catechism@relc.org for more details.
LIFE-LONG RELATIONSHIP WITH THE WORD
I can read the same Bible passage at different times in my life, but each time it speaks to me in a unique way that helps me for that specific moment.
RELC Adult Forum attendee
Adult Forum is a ‘drop in when you can’ time of Bible study and discussion, enriched by prayer and insightful sharing on Sunday mornings during the GIFT hour. Various books, topics, and lessons enhance each session.
Grab a coffee and join the story – on Sunday mornings at 9:00 am.
SUMMER FUN WITH JESUS
Our Vacation Bible School (VBS) is open to ALL children preschool age 3 through 5th grade. We learn about God’s love through stories, songs, crafts, games, and snacks! There is a different theme each year (watch for more info for this year’s program).
Usually held the 3rd week of July in the evenings.
NOTE FOR PARENTS: Older youth assist the adult leaders. All have completed backgrounds checks.
Becky Rader, VBS Coordinator